I installed a new kernel on one of my ubuntu machines, and then I shut it down, and installed the DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite I've borrowed at the moment.
When I booted it back up, the kernel detected it, but /dev/dvb didn't exist.
(I reconfigured vmware, with a kernel module for the new kernel at this point).
[4294701.717000] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[4294701.758000] bttv: driver version 0.9.16 loaded
[4294701.758000] bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
[4294701.762000] bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
[4294701.762000] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:08.0[A] -> Link [APC3] -> GSI 18 (level, high) -> IRQ 18
[4294701.762000] bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:01:08.0, irq: 18, latency: 32, mmio: 0xd8000000
[4294701.762000] bttv0: detected: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite [card=128], PCI subsystem ID is 18ac:db10
[4294701.762000] bttv0: using: DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite [card=128,autodetected]
[4294701.762000] bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00ffffff [init]
[4294701.776000] bttv0: using tuner=-1
[4294701.779000] bttv0: add subdevice "dvb0"
[4294701.887000] bt878: AUDIO driver version 0.0.0 loaded
[4294701.891000] bt878: Bt878 AUDIO function found (0).
[4294701.891000] bt878_probe: card id=[0xdb1018ac],[ DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite ] has DVB functions.
[4294701.891000] bt878(0): Bt878 (rev 17) at 01:08.1, irq: 18, latency: 32, memory: 0xd8001000
I followed the instructions here:
apt-get installed the necessary packages, then hg cloned the v4l source. I compiled it all, and loaded all of the kernel modules with make load, which ended up creating 4 adapters in /dev/dvb.
I only have the one, and it's not a dual tuner or anything, so obviously dummy adapters had been created, for devices I don't have.
I rebooted the machine, but again, didn't have /dev/dvb.
I manually loaded the module I need, for the DVB-T Lite:
sudo modprobe dvb-bt8xx
[4295222.076000] DVB: registering new adapter (bttv0).
[4295222.092000] DVB: registering frontend 0 (Zarlink MT352 DVB-T)...
and /dev/dvb/adapter0 existed.
I then installed mysql (apt-get install mysql-server).
When I went to install mythtv, I discovered that it wasn't in the package list for some reason.
A bit of googling, and I found this page. Apparently mythtv is broken against dapper at the moment anyway.
I added "deb http://knm.org/mythdebs/ binary/" to my sources.list, and updated apt.
Now there was a bunch of myth packages. I tried installing mythtv, and mythtv-frontend and mythtv-backend, but I ended up with stacks of dependency issues.
At this point, I realised I was a dope.. I was running breezy on that machine, not dapper, and the myth packages on knm.org are for dapper.
I looked a bit harder, I had to add multiverse repositories to sources.list. (I removed the knm source). I updated apt again, the myth packages were available.
I then used apt to install mythtv, and it worked out for itself that it needed backend, frontend etc.
Once it was all installed, I set the mythtv user's password, logged in as them, ran a vncserver as them, and connected to it. I ran mythtv-setup.
I went through and configured the basic stuff as before. It segfaulted when it went back to the main menu, after configuring the general settings. Hmm. It wrote the settings I changed though.
I configured the card as a video source, and then setup the program data source. This caused issues, because I didn't have a tv_grab_au script.
I grabbed the one that uses the oztivo guide server this time, from here.
I installed that, but was having issues trying to get it to generate a config file.
I reconfigured the source in myth, and got a bit further, it generated the config file.
I edited the file, and added in my username and password for the guide server, and some channels, though I just guessed the names, because I couldn't be bothered to check them.
I ran the mythfilldb script, but tv_grab_au crashes, with something about an invalid token.
It turns out that there's something about the config file that it generated, that doesn't work. I removed all the comments, and made a basic config file, just containing the login details, and channels to use, and it worked.
It downloaded the guide data, and created the channels. However trying to watch TV still doesn't work, fails with errors about "PIDs not set".
I installed mythweb, and looked, to see that there are no sources defined for the channels. Even after scanning the channels, in the setup, which found and created more channels, there are still no PIDs.